There are a few exterior updates that every homeowner should tackle once the winter season has ended. The following are a few exterior maintenance tips for your Kansas City home that you should follow this spring:
- Wash your exterior – The siding of your home most likely got dirtied up quite a bit during the winter. Pick up a pressure washer in order to save some time (scrubbing your siding by hand will take a while). Just remember, you need to use it properly – it can be dangerous if used incorrectly.
- Clean the gutters – Make sure the gutters are clear. Any blockages can end up leading to water leaking into your home.
- Clean the windows – Wash your windows by using a solution consisting of 50 percent vinegar and 50 percent water. We recommend using newspapers instead of paper towels to avoid ugly streaks.
- Clean up the yard – Remove any trash or debris that is littering the yard.
- Take care of the grass – There’s a chance your grass isn’t looking too great after enduring the winter. Rake the grass and then sprinkle in fertilizer to give the soil much needed nutrients. Inspect your sprinkler system to ensure that your grass will be watered properly throughout the upcoming summer months. If you want your grass to look as healthy as possible, we recommend hiring a professional service to come aerate the grass. This will help water and air reach the roots of the grass much easier.
- Check your lawn furniture – Lawn furniture that wasn’t winterized may need to be replaced or refurbished. For example, if your wrought iron furniture has rusted, you may need to sandblast it and repaint it.