In the first blog in our series “Designing Your Home’s Exterior,” we discussed the exterior color of your home — particularly, the siding. Today, let’s talk about windows and doors. Windows and doors are ultimately what invites your family, friends, and neighbors into your home. They can be the first impression of your home, and they’re also an important aspect when it comes to insulation and security. So, here’s our guide when it comes to finding the right windows and doors in Kansas City: what you should consider and what materials work best.
What to Look For
When you’re searching for new windows and doors, there are a few fundamentals to consider. Think about the benefits you would receive from installing quality windows and doors. These benefits will form the list of factors you want to look for when considering new windows and doors for your home.
- Energy Efficiency. Properly insulated windows and doors stop air leaks and increase comfort. They can also lower your heating and cooling bills. Ultimately, this makes them eco-friendlier and boosts your home value if you ever decide to move.
- Weather Resistance. One reason that wood is becoming a less relevant option for windows and doors is because without constant maintenance, it doesn’t hold up well to adverse weather. You want windows and doors that resist swelling, rotting, warping, and cracking even in the worst of Kansas City weather.
- Tough materials and careful security features will make sure your family is safer, so you can sleep soundly through the night.
- Curb Appeal. Of course, not least of all, you want to be sure your windows and doors look good. They should suit the style of your home and invite guests in, not fade into obscurity or be aesthetically displeasing.
The Best Materials for Windows and Doors
The best materials for windows and doors depend on the climate and your home’s style. Some homeowners still prefer wood windows and doors for its unbeatable elegance and style. However, wood is incredibly high maintenance, and it’s more expensive than most options, so more and more homeowners are looking elsewhere.
- Vinyl is always a solid option. It’s affordable, durable, looks great, and it’s energy efficient. With brands like Simonton, you know your vinyl windows will be made to last and will come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Fiberglass is becoming a more and more attractive option, especially made by Marvin, who uses the same material that’s used in bridge construction. It’s hard to match these windows when it comes to beauty and durability. And it’s a popular option for entry doors as well, especially when made to take on the look of wood.
- Steel. ProVia makes entry doors out of both fiberglass and steel. Steel doors provide powerful security and cut an imposing figure. They have a smooth look, and they can be painted whatever color you like. They can even take on a woodgrain texture.
So, who should you call to have new windows and doors installed in your Kansas City home? With 40+ years of excellent customer satisfaction behind us, Johnson County Siding & Window Co., Inc. is an easy choice. Contact us today for more information.
Be watching for the next blog post in our series, “Designing Your Home’s Exterior.”